Our new office is located at 5901 Old Fredericksburg Road, Building C, Suite 102, Austin, TX, 78749.

Can You Apply for a Green Card for Your Parents?

Can You Apply for a Green Card for Your Parents?

By Brian in Visas and Green Cards | on 2024-03-19 22:29:54

You can sponsor your parents to receive green cards if you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. However, applying for a green card for your parents can be a complicated process with various requirements. Having the guidance of an experienced Austin immigration attorney can make all the difference in navigating through the application process. 

At J. Sparks Law, PLLC, we understand the importance of family reunification and are here to provide you with the legal support and guidance you need.


Understanding the Process

Applying for a green card for your parents involves several steps. It’s essential to have a clear understanding of the process before initiating the application. Here are some key points to consider: Always seek guidance from an immigration attorney in Austin before beginning the process.


To apply for a green card for your parents, you must meet certain criteria. First, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Additionally, your parents must be outside the United States when you file the application and meet the definition of an immediate relative.

Filing the Petition

As a U.S. citizen child, you’ll need to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of your parents. This form establishes the relationship between you and your parents and serves as the initial step in the green card application process.

Wait Times

Once the petition is filed, there may be a waiting period before your parents can proceed with the green card application process. The wait times can vary, depending on various factors, such as the completeness of the application and the backlog of cases at the immigration office.

Consular Processing

If the petition is approved, your parents will go through consular processing. This involves completing various forms and attending an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. The purpose of the interview is to determine their eligibility for a green card.

Adjustment of Status

If your parents are already in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, they may be eligible to adjust their status to that of a permanent resident. In this case, they can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, without having to leave the country.


Why You Need an Austin Immigration Attorney

Navigating the green card application process for your parents can be confusing and time-consuming. Having an experienced Austin immigration attorney by your side can significantly increase your chances of a successful outcome. You can save resources and gain peace of mind with the right legal assistance. 


Austin, TX Immigration Attorneys Ready to Help

If you’re in Austin, TX, and need assistance with a green card application for your parents, J. Sparks Law, PLLC is here to help. Our experienced team understands the importance of family reunification and will guide you through the immigration process. Call us today at (512) 952-2178 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our Austin immigration attorney. Let us be your trusted legal partner in achieving your family’s immigration goals.

Julie Sparks

Julie Sparks is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Immigration and Nationality Law, one of a few such attorneys in Texas. After 15 years of practice in this field, she has represented immigrants from more than 70 different countries.

Get In Touch With Us

Call Today to Schedule a Consultation